Spec Racer Ford Gen 3 ace Whitney Strickland was named the A.J. Foyt Driver of the Year at the Houston Region SCCA Annual Awards Banquet on February 23 at the Aquarium Restaurant in Kemah, and 2018 Class E Street champion Brian Maskrey won Solo Driver of the Year.
About 120 people — Houston Region SCCA members, family members and friends — attended this year’s banquet, about which several attendees praised Tisha Strickland, who organized the banquet in her role as regional director of events.
Riley Salyer received the Tom Thrash Rookie of the Year award for his performance in winning the Southwest Road Racing Championship in the H Production class in 2018, while H Street autocross champion Zach Taulbee was named the Norman Jackson Rookie Driver of the Year, and D Street autocross champion Andrew Converse was named the Sara Tooth Most Improved Driver of the Year.
MSR Houston shop manager Jim Berg won Mechanic of the Year, and Jim Robertson, the Houston Region’s new Flag Chief, was named Corner Worker of the Year.
Other service awardees include Houston Region SCCA Treasurer Mike Jiang, who received the Jack Parker Award for his long-term outstanding service to the club, and SWRRC Formula Atlantic champion Randall Smart, who received the Paul Cranston Award for having given outstanding service — well above what is required — to the club during the current year as a race worker, particularly in doing technical exams of racing vehicles.
Also, Chris Humphries, who won the Street Touring Roadster class championship in autocross, received the Bill Frank Award as a volunteer who gave outstanding service to the SCCA during 2018.
Other Autocross class champions in 2018 include the following:
- A Street and G Street: Ken Brewer
- B Street: Chung Ying
- Classic American Muscle — Contemporary: Robert Kortlang
- C Prepared: Gene Beaird
- C Street: Ho Cheung
- E Street Prepared: Andy Miller
- F Street: Brad Williams
- Houston Muscle: Mark Gifford
- Street Modified: Dan Yepes
- Street Modified Front-wheel-drive: Neil Moyer
- Super Street: Ryan Mueller
- Street Touring 300: Namy Tran
- Street Touring Other: Amy Grothusen
- Street Touring S: David Duxbury
- Street Touring Unlimited: Rymond Singson
- X: Zachary Sober
Other Houston Region winners of SWRRC classes in 2018 include the following:
- B-Spec: John Phillips
- E Production: James Rogerson
- Formula Mazda: Karl Markey
- Formula V: Charles Hearn
- GT 1: Demetrio Bilbatua
- GT 2: Charlie Vehle
- GT Lite: Larry Svaton
- Spec Miata: Tyler Quance
- Spec Racer Ford Gen 3: Colin Clark
- Spec RX7: Mark Watson
- Super Touring Light: Tyler Quance
- Touring 1: Eric Ritchie
- Touring 2: James R. Smith
- Touring 3: Namy Tran
- Touring 4: Lowell Huston